Administrator

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: The book of D.R.O.M.E.   Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 pm

D.R.O.M.E.
Dumpy's Rules of Map Editing
Intro
Chapter 1

Some of you may have already heard of D.R.O.M.E., but for those of you who don't know it means Dumpy's Rules of Map Editing for FC 2 and does not by any means instruct the perfect way to edit a map! It is on the other hand, some tricks of the trade so to speak that I have come to acquire over the many years of mapping.

In the chapters to come I will go over certain mapping, layout, and gameplay techniques. I will also be helping you guys with some of your mapping questions. I will create these chapters in the weeks to come based on your feedback and my own personal experiences. Also, I plan to come out with a guide to hosting for the NUBES! "of course"

Good Gaming to all, and Happy reading...

Last edited by Grim Smoke on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ugs-gaming.forumotion.com
Grim Smoke
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The book of D.R.O.M.E.   Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:07 am

D.R.O.M.E.
Chapter 1 - Getting Started

To get started all you need is a good idea and the will to execute the design. As long as your idea has a good layout with decent gameplay then your headed in the right direction. Choke points also help to keep your map action packed, but be careful too many chokes is just equivalent to alot of ways to go...
How far you actually go to execute the design plan really helps as far as looks and appeal go.

Example: If you are trying to make a bowling alley and you make a UFO crash site then you have failed! Evil or Very Mad

There are a couple of things I usually look at before I start a map if it will help, I like to look at were the sun will be positioned as the map plays. This helps keep the sun and moon right were you want it. Also there are alot of differant controls in the settings menu that you can turn on and off, my personal favorite is the "Camera Auto Scroll" turning this off will allow you to get super close to an object and move it more precisely. Another is the "Keep Objects with Terrain", turning this off will keep your objects from moving when you move the ground below. Turning the "Grid" on early to center your map over a crossing point of the grid lines will help minimize the threat of having too many objects in one square. Larger, more spread out maps have a lesser chance of this happening anyways.

After you figure out what direction you are going with your map it's time to get to work. Remember the more you stick to the theme of your map, the more it will help your overall design. Only to save time, as you create your map try to look out for flashies and things sticking through other objects that aren't supposed to be. You can do this by hitting the back button and looking around as the map progresses.

Last edited by Grim Smoke on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grim Smoke
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The book of D.R.O.M.E.   Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:29 pm

D.R.O.M.E.
Chapter 2 - Common things to look for as you creat your map.

One of the first things I learned to look for in the editor as I created my masterpieces was grass sticking through things like walls, walkways, rocks, vehicles, and ammo crates. Remeber "Grass doesn't grow where the sun doesn't go". Also look out for furniture and other things sticking through places you don't want them to. You might want to walk around your map quite abit before you publish it to check for theese things. This will also give you an opportunity to make sure you can easily rome your map without getting stuck on things in the ground or objects along your route.

One of the more advanced things to look for in the editor is Checking your grid often. If you have too many objects in one area of the grid it wont allow you to publish your creation. If this happens you can still fix your map with a bit of work by selecting all of the objects in the problem area and moving them to a crosspoint in the grid. This also works well if you find out you want to reposition your sun cycle. You may also have to redefine quite abit of land if you catch theese things too late. If you go over the object limit, but only by a small amount you may just try deleting a few things you can spare in that area of the grid.

When you think your map is ready for the community servers go back and walk around your map from end to end a few more times. Often we rush ourselfs when our latest creation nears it's completion and we miss small but crucial elements of our map like missing ladders, extra camera angles we may have forgotten, and Signs or ammo crates we may have meant to add in.

Back to top Go down
Grim Smoke
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The book of D.R.O.M.E.   Fri May 01, 2009 9:43 pm

D.R.O.M.E.
Chapter 3 Advanced Editing Tips

Some of you may have seen maps that look symmetrical or mirrored. This can easily be done with the "Clone Tool" . After one half is finished you would highlight all of that portion then clone and spin 180 degrees. If land editing is involved this may prove to be a difficult task, but not impossible. Some times you may find that when you spin the cluster, things might unaline, destroying your piece of work. If this happens, try first undoing your mistake and then rotating it in the counter direction. You can also use the clone tool to copy some of the smaller cluster of items like signs with post to fully furnished houses.

You may notice sometimes when you edit objects things still move with the land when you turned off the " Keep objects with terrain" option in the settings menu. This option only controls the new objects placed on the map. To keep objects you are editing from moving vertically with the terrain you need to highlight the object you wish to move. Next change your movement type in your edit objects menu. Once you have changed this setting you will not need to do it again until you exit the editor and return.

TBC

Last edited by Grim Smoke on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:39 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
Grim Smoke
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The book of D.R.O.M.E.   Sun May 03, 2009 2:26 pm

D.R.O.M.E.
Chapter 4 Using "Gameplay Items"

There are lots of "Gameplay Items" that are very crucial to your map like Spawn Points, Diamond Stations, Uprising Stations, Ammo Crates, Mounted Weapons, Respawn Cameras, Cover, Choke Points, Signs, and Vehicles. All of these have a major influence on how your map plays over all. A good balance of gameplay and layout will give you the best results.

TBC

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The book of D.R.O.M.E.   

Back to top Go down

The book of D.R.O.M.E.
Page 1 of 1